OPEN SOURCE Original War 3D-ish?

For international community members
Gwren1
Soldier level 1
Soldier level 1
Argentina

OPEN SOURCE Original War 3D-ish?

Post by Gwren1 »

Hey fellas', long time no talk over here, aye? Anyways, I've mentioned something like OW2 before, but this time it's different. We know this game is the best that could have happened to our lives, don't we? Well maybe it's not that personal, but let's keep it passionate. Thing is, I bet more than 1 fan of Original War would like to see the game in great 3D Graphics, with modern gameplay and even more degrees of freedom. I don't say exactly as Commandos or ArmA, in the sense of changing clothes, getting thousands of items, etc. because it will be too micro-management -esque. But why not add micro stuff like inventory as a small plus? Anyways, we haven't seen any boogies on OW, helicopters, airplanes... aircraft in general. Also, cargo vehicles that could transport troops, and many, many other things. Well, an Open Source project would, yes, open the posibilities a lot more than modding does. I encourage anyone who is capable of getting this idea to reality to make it real. Say, why not make a community and start a project? I know many people who desire to be Game-Developers who had been members of this forum. Have anybody of you seen that "We want Original War 2!" group on Facebook?

I'd say let's give it a try. Take a look at the great game "Battle for Wesnoth". It was made open-source and is mantained by a community. It's succesful! And if you like Turn-Based-Strategy games with RPG and Fantasy theme, why not give it a go and see if you like it? It's wonderful.

So enough talking. I offer my help if this project is started, anybody else is interested? Hmm?
-Aleph.

a very active person

"You can only do well at something if you put the time in. Doesn't matter what subject it is. You can't make a master piece over night."
Wise man Stu-
Enguzrad
Soldier level 4
Soldier level 4

Re: OPEN SOURCE Original War 3D-ish?

Post by Enguzrad »

Hello, about OW2, there already was an attempt to do it, but it never became more then just a few screenshots from 3d modeling program. But about a year ago the Freya Group let go mod Throwback and started new project named Original War Rebellion. This project is focused mainly on creating a 3d version of Original War with just a few new features but much better multiplayer stability (annoying synchronization losts are the main problem of Original War and we all know it). After that we would create a sequel to Original War with new technologies and our own story we were trying to use in Throwback mode.
We decided to use Unity3D, which has been already used for creating many good games. But we have 2 problems. The first is no one of us knows javascript or C# which is used in Unity3D so we are learning it. And the second and main problem is, that we are just two people right now and we really need more people to activelly help with this project.
Gwren1
Soldier level 1
Soldier level 1
Argentina

Post by Gwren1 »

Nice. Well, I started Open War about 3 months ago. But honestly there is almost no activity.

I'd like to see some screenshots from your alpha stages or any information you could show me to know more about your project. I'm using Torque3D because I believe using free, open-source tools brings lots of more possibilities than relying on expensive and closed-source software.

Sorry for the late reply and Happy Easter!
-Aleph.

a very active person

"You can only do well at something if you put the time in. Doesn't matter what subject it is. You can't make a master piece over night."
Wise man Stu-
Enguzrad
Soldier level 4
Soldier level 4

Post by Enguzrad »

Well, on our project, there is not much activity either right now.
But it isn't dead at all, it just looks like it's dead :D.

We managed to get some more people to help with various tasks, we are collecting ideas and planning how the game should work and look like. It is really slow process, one of our team members is working, and school conusmes a lot of time too. Me, I'm still trying to finish Original War card game, I changed my plans with it to finish it more quickly, so I could then start to work fully on this main project but it will still take a few months until i deal with the cards.

About screenshots, there is not much to see, we are working on basic frame of the game, but right now there is nothing to look at. Only visible outcome for now are 3d models (untextured) of few buildings and a model or two of humans.

I agree that using open-source tools is good idea, thats why we have chosen Unity3D which is mainly for free and I have already seen some games which were made with it.

Of course it would be nice if we could unite and work on one project but when i take in consideration that we have different vision of the game, it wouldn't be possible without scraping one idea for the good of the other one.
Gwren1
Soldier level 1
Soldier level 1
Argentina

Post by Gwren1 »

(Deep Breath)

I wish this project had seen the light, or more light than it's seen... it's been stopped since I last talked here... Me and another guy were the only ones working on this, obviously it reached the expected limits: Lack of Motivation, ideas, feedback...

Probably someone else is interested in the models? I wonder if they'd need high-poly or low-poly models...

Anyways, see you around. :arcry:
-Aleph.

a very active person

Wise man Stu-