Installing New Mods ?

For international community members
wwiiogre
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

Installing New Mods ?

Post by wwiiogre »

Yes,

I did look in this sub forum and in the technical area for this question before I asked it.

I have downloaded a bunch of mods for this game from this site. How do I install them or where do I extract them to?

If it is a rar, do I extract to desktop then run the rar?

If it is not a rar, where do I extract it to?

If it is an exe. do I just run it and hope it goes where it is supposed to?

got the game a few days ago on steam. I have never been a fan of rts style games, they were not my cup of tea. I love strategy and tactics.

OW has a lot of strategy and tactics, just wish there were more hints in some of the games. Just muddling my way thru both the American and Soviet campaigns. When I get roadblocked a few times. I switch for fun. Then comeback and try the map that has kept me from moving on.

A real fun and good game.

Chris
Nitek
Community Veteran
Community Veteran

Re: Installing New Mods ?

Post by Nitek »

Does the steam version come with 1.12.7 patch? If not, you have to download patch from this site. You have to extract mods into "mods" folder in the main game directory. You have to put there folder and *.ini file (e.x. ExampleMod folder and ExampleMod.ini have to be in this folder). After you lauch the game just pick "Mods" in main menu and play what you want to play.
Antitheus
Kung Führer
Kung Führer
Korea North

Post by Antitheus »

Download the mod.rar or .exe (.exe for installers) and put it into <Your_OW_Folder>/mods/.
If there's Mod folder and .ini file with the same name as folder - congrats! You've installed the mod.

Despite the fact, that there's loads of mods in our download section, you must keep in mind that some of them (or most of them) are not supporting English or they're not playable on newest game version. You can check the Mod List by Sushi (it's in PL but it the individual sections can be easily google-translated) http://forum.original-war.net/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3852 .

I can recommend you some of the great mods:
  • Arabian Campaign - The mod about the expedition, that was sent by the Arabian countries to destroy the siberite. It's developed by McBenn and it's based on Altar's notes (Altar was planning to add the Arabian Campaign to the game but it was never released) - mod section on our forums: http://forum.original-war.net/viewforum.php?f=80 . Supporting English, Czech or Slovak and Polish (maybe some of the missions are in French too).
  • Throwback - great single and multiplayer mod, created by Czech players (English supported). Game re-balance, new units, new multiplayer maps and modes http://forum.original-war.net/viewforum.php?f=66.
  • Sand of Siberia and OverloadThe first one is being developed by Serpent (New campaigns, units, game re-balance) and the second one by Backero (new nation, units, campaigns, maps and technologies). None of them has been released yet.
  • Arabian History - by Gravitr - he's planning to release his mod soon (En, PL, CS)
  • Walcz z botem by Serpent - Fight with bot. You can play against AI on the multiplayer map (bastard's pass) - http://forum.original-war.net/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3847 .
Enjoy!
wwiiogre
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

Post by wwiiogre »

Thanks for the answers.

I ran the exe for the Arabian Campaign and it installed perfectly and I am playing it. The others I will attempt once I have finished these three campaigns.

Having worked in the gaming industry proofreading and editing I am appalled at the horrendous translation into English/American/Aussie/Canadian/Kiwi of the Arabian campaign. I have friends from Saudi Arabia and some of them speak better American and English than I do.

My question is, was the horrible dialogue done on purpose. Its so bad, it appears to me to be done that way on purpose. And if so, I get it, its funny and in the spirit of the original campaigns. If not on purpose, then why so terrible?

Chris
McBenn
ArCamp Developer

Post by McBenn »

The dialogues are written in English and then translated into PL and CZ. I've kept the dialogue primitive on purpose as I don't think mercenaries are using highbrow English. Some placed I've even made small gramatical errors on purpose. But I didn't think it was that bad :P