Am15a / Ru15a Omar

Modding, patches, etc., for anyone who speaks neither Polish nor Czech.
McBenn
ArCamp Developer

Am15a / Ru15a Omar

Post by McBenn »

I'm doing some bugfixing on Am15a 7 Ru15a. If you tried to negotiate with New Kaaba in Am13a / Ru13a Omar may join you in Am15a / Ru15a. What I don't understand is that if you accept him then that's it. He won't ever try to contaminate any siberite deposit. Doesn't seem to fit his character in my opinion. What do you think? Should we just leave it be or make him try contaminate a siberite source at some point? In the latter case it almost only makes sense if he goes for the motherlode but how is he gonna get near it if the player has control over him?
0dd1
ArCamp Developer

Re: Am15a / Ru15a Omar

Post by 0dd1 »

I think I had it triggered once and Omar joned me and did try to contaminate the moterlode. I can't remember exactly what triggered it but I think it was either defeat of the Russians or Omar being in the vicinity of the Motherlode.
Another thing: during that last play I had an "invalid hex" error persistently appearing sometime after running it in editor (no noticable difficulty when running the game itself). I can't be absolutely sure, but I think it was the Americans continously being given the order to attack my artifact cargos. When they would go to the lower part of the map, beyond the river, the error kept appearing. When kept in the centre of the map there was no problem.
Do it!
McBenn
ArCamp Developer

Post by McBenn »

There is only one place in the code wher someone is asked to contaminate the motherlode and that part cannot be reached if Omar joins you. Furthermore Omar is a desert warrior which can't contaminate in the first place (only scientists can).
When running in the game itself it seems to ignore such errors (which is reasonable). I've already fixed such an error but I don't know if it's the same you encountered.
Antitheus
Kung Führer
Kung Führer
Korea North

Post by Antitheus »

Nie wahajcie się, by przedstawić swoją opinię/propozycję po polsku. Przetłumaczę Wasz post.
(Don't hesitate to post your opinion/suggestions in Polish. I'll Translate it.)
McBenn
ArCamp Developer

Post by McBenn »

All right, I'll just let it be.
Antitheus
Kung Führer
Kung Führer
Korea North

Post by Antitheus »

It may override the game mechanics but the contamination may be triggered when Omar enters the motherlode area. Just as simple as the Alliance's artifact in 15 Ru, which is contaminating the whole motherlode.
McBenn
ArCamp Developer

Post by McBenn »

So if he joins the player the player should just never let him enter the motherlode area? Seems kinda dull. If on the other hand you refer to if he doesn't try to join you (so he will appear to contaminate the motherlode when the Russians are losing) I've simply changed his class to scientist in that case.
Jakskomiksu
Soldier level 2
Soldier level 2
Poland

Post by Jakskomiksu »

Omar 'IQ' tweaks propositions:

I'd strongly recommended keeping up to the original vision of the game.
What i mean by that, it's easier to base of concluded character and it's lore than to moddifing
it's scripts to the core.

So basicaly: Omar should only join in am. alliance. Depending on how the campaign was played by a player there are few different story lines which could guide him to attempting in destroing the Main Deposit.
If we played using mercenaries and treated them as fairly as possible he would concider not destroying it at all.
Else:
Kurt dead
Paid minimal or not at all in AM09
Havent paid a bribe to a friend from am 11
Havent tried to negociate with new Kaaba
Didnt agree on any of the merc' terms in the last 15a mission (some ideas in my 5th post here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6485).
Then he could decide to betray us in a different time period. Whats more the scripts should/ could be different for any of those variations to maximize player inabillity to counteract (and punish for non-consistent decision making as in good old RPGs).
Some ideas for variables:
Omar would randomly gets to the syberite deposits destroing them (as you mentioned before - its neded to add some exeptions because he's not scientist who can contaminate).
He would try to rush the motherload to make player lose the game.
He (and potentialy some fanatics) could try to sabotage player actions by other means.