Communication with players

Wszystko o graniu w OW w sieci.
Enguzrad
Soldier level 4
Soldier level 4

Communication with players

Post by Enguzrad »

Because of dwindling numbers of players in our community on skype we started to have problems with getting even four people for a game at some times, but just waiting in lobby for someone to appear is not the best way how to get the last needed 4th player, especially when you want to play Throwback or some special map.

Recently I took a look at Original War group on Evolve, but chat room seems to be abandoned for most of the time.
IRC is more active, but it seems that most of the people there are connected through game and they just hop in and out to see whether there is someone to play with or not.

So, do you guys use some other way how to find people who have time to play at the moment, arranging server host etc. ?
Krotos
Soldier level 2
Soldier level 2

Re: Communication with players

Post by Krotos »

I've been actively seeking the splinters of other communities over the last 2 months in order to gather us together. It allowed me to bring Morgan back here, although his section is quiet for now as he's got a lot of work.

In general though I'm trying to spread the game across communities I'm affiliated with, writing reviews, articles and - as of late - working on Polish modding archive in my free time in order to translate all threads gathered there to English with an explanation behind the function and an example of usage, but it's a bit heavy project.

I checked Evolve and IRC as well. It is, indeed, empty. There's a group on Facebook but it's largely dominated by Polish players, sadly enough.

I'm watching over Steam Discussion boards as well, trying to help people whenever I can, instructing them on hosting and the likes, as well as maintaining ArCamp's workshop page together with Antitheus and helping other bigger mods (Absolute Dominion, Sands of Siberia) with their English translations.

Is there anything you'd suggest, Enguzrad? It's a bit difficult to reach Czechs for example as I couldn't find any specific forum they'd use. Same about international peeps from UK, Germany and/or other European countries. I'm not proficient in Russian alphabet to seek them so that one's off the limits.
Antitheus
Kung Führer
Kung Führer
Korea North

Post by Antitheus »

Yeah, Evolve is abandoned by now. They had server capacity problems and the queuing system was driving us crazy. Sadly. It was cool in use.
You may ask here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/OWMultiplayer or agitate someone from the game lobby (lots of people joining recently). Also I encourage you to use our ts3 server (original-war.net). It's available for 24/7 and it costs you nothing. Also, you may ask for an admin for managing Czech community channel.
Enguzrad
Soldier level 4
Soldier level 4

Post by Enguzrad »

Krotos wrote: Is there anything you'd suggest, Enguzrad? It's a bit difficult to reach Czechs for example as I couldn't find any specific forum they'd use. Same about international peeps from UK, Germany and/or other European countries. I'm not proficient in Russian alphabet to seek them so that one's off the limits.
Well yes, it is difficult to reach us, mainly because of how few of us is left, at least in the once thriving comunity around OWC and XR. We are slowly dying out, people getting older and leaving, or at least they stopped playing because of time issues and they are in chat only.

OWC is abandoned, XR website is pretty much also abandoned, on top of that both websites are very old and a lot of things do not work correctly anymore.
Few people are using these forums, and thats about it.
The only real activity is in our skype chat room.

Of course we are not the only czech and slovakian players left but I say that in terms of multiplayer, we have in our chat room close to half of the playerbase.

But our problems comes from a habit of playing mainly between ourselves. It is an outcome of few factors:
- We know each other quite well after the years, helps with balancing the teams.
- We have developed our own style of play and game settings. Nowadays we play almost exclusively with Throwback mod.
- We got all people in one chat room, convinient for asking for people to play with but it gets people too lazy to look for players elsewhere.
- And there always was a bit of "us vs them" attitude to polish players, I guess it's a relic from past clan wars.

The only thing to do is to open up and make connections to at least polish playerbase, since it has always been large and active.
So, I'm going to check out the TS3 server and steam community groups Antitheus suggested and see what can be done.