[EN] General bug reporting

Dział poświęcony projektowi Arabian Campaign

Moderator: ArCamp Developer

Milhaus
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

Re: [EN] General bug reporting

Post by Milhaus »

Hi, I'm having issues in the last mission for Legion. Shortly after first Powell's call the game crashes with this error: 'SAIL function "GetBType" : Access violation at address 005A28E5 in module 'OwarOGL.exe'. Read of address 00000010'
I did not change anything in campaign folder or at least I'm not aware of it. What do I do now? Re-subscribing doesn't work for me, since Steam doesn't download clean mod's files again. Should I wait for next update or is there any other solution? Thanks a lot for any answer :)
EDIT: I'm not experiencing this bug in any other mission in this campaign

!!SOLVED!!
thanks to STUCUK on steam workshop forum, he wrote:
GetBType should only crash if its sent a unit which isn't a building (As it doesn't check its a building thats sent to it) or if you send it a unitid which is below 1 or higher than the maximum unit count.

People shouldn't need to goto own to get information, authors should have ownership of their mod on steam.

In relation to "Clean" mod files, delete the Arabian Campaign folder thats located inside the OriginalWar\mods\ folder and delete the workshop.ini from Original War's directory(workshop.ini holds the last size/crc of the mod that it copied to the mods directory so it won't copy if it hasn't changed, deleting means it will copy from the steam cache). Then goto the Steam\SteamAps\Workshop\ folder and delete the acf file which has 235320 in its name (This will force steam to re-download the mod... well all subscribed mods). You may need to restart steam.
Attachments
ErrorLog0014.txt
(2.03 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
McBenn
ArCamp Developer

Post by McBenn »

Sorry you had to register here to post the issue. I'll keep better watch over steam from now on.
My guess is that replaying the mission without reinstalling would yield the same result. I can't reproduce the crash if I feed GetBType with illegal values as per Stucuk's explanation. Original War can be a little funny from time to time.
nadwrazliwosc_zebow
Soldier level 4
Soldier level 4

Post by nadwrazliwosc_zebow »

Bug probably for 0dd1 - doubled characters in Ar13. What is more, with different skills. First of Khattams appeared with Heike at start of the mission, second with Omar.
0dd1
ArCamp Developer

Post by 0dd1 »

I see no other way for that to happen, than having Khattam saved as one of the random people as well as a main character. If you can send me the campaign save I could try to confirm it. I remember the same thing happening with him in Legion missions.

I'm not seeing Omar on this picture. This comes from the "team review" in mission right? Weird it should not include desert warriors.

The amount of people there is also a bit puzzling. By my count there should be 19 (11+Heike, 2 during the mission, 5 with omar), while there are 20 on your picture. Do you remember by any chance how many joined during the mission?
Do it!
nadwrazliwosc_zebow
Soldier level 4
Soldier level 4

Well... um... I can't.

(Windows shows me that /UserProfiles folder is empty and has 0 bytes inside, but game doesn't have any problem with seeing progress in vanilla and mods - just Microsoft things <3)

However I noticed in Ar14's team choosing box that Greg Azarian is also doubled.

The screen is from team review, you're right. People joining during the missions - there were 2 random guys and one main character escaping base, and (here I'm not sure) 5 people with Omar.
McBenn
ArCamp Developer

Post by McBenn »

You not being able to see the save games, can that be connected to the steam version? (If you play the steam version that is ofc).
0dd1
ArCamp Developer

Post by 0dd1 »

nadwrazliwosc_zebow wrote:People joining during the missions - there were 2 random guys and one main character escaping base, and (here I'm not sure) 5 people with Omar.
Right, I forgot I added one main character joining during the mission. My mistake, everything is fine with that.
Do it!
nadwrazliwosc_zebow
Soldier level 4
Soldier level 4

@McBenn, nope, I don't use Steam. I guess it's just Windows' stupidity. :/
Milhaus
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

Post by Milhaus »

Hello,
I didn't want to create a new topic just because of this. As I keep getting the error stated above ('SAIL function "GetBType" : Access violation at address 005A28E5 in module 'OwarOGL.exe'. Read of address 00000010') and I'm tired of looking for solution I just wanted to know if there's something like "let's play" for this mission (15a). If I can't play it by myself I want at least see what happens. I found the mission script in mod files but some kind of video would be much better.
Thanks a lot and good luck in developing the rest of the campaign, I still rate it very high :)
McBenn
ArCamp Developer

Post by McBenn »

Grr bloody game engine :evil: (sry Stu!) But at least the bug is persistent it seems (although only for you as many others play through without any problems). I would very much like to try and track this bug down but since I can't reproduce it I'm gonna need your help to test things out. I'm ok with you not wanting to throw away some hours on this but I would be grateful (and probably also other folks experiencing this bug).

About the video-playthrough: I had a youtube link to a total playthrough but it seems to be broken. Anyway you would need at least a couple of playthroughs to get the whole picture as there are many ways to complete the mission.
Milhaus
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

Post by Milhaus »

I'm willing to help. Just tell me what to do and when I have some time I will try it :)
0dd1
ArCamp Developer

Post by 0dd1 »

I wonder if the bug would show up if you sent me or McBenn a saved game to load (actual in-game save before the crash, not the campaign).
Do it!
Milhaus
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

Post by Milhaus »

We are already testing something related to this issue (and so far it's working) but I can send you my save as well. To be completely honest, I don't really know in which folder exactly are the save files. Just tell me where and I will send them right away :)
0dd1
ArCamp Developer

Post by 0dd1 »

In your Original War folder go to UserProfiles->[Mod Name]->[User name]->GameSaves

Once you make a savegame in game it should be there in a single .OWP file.
Do it!
McBenn
ArCamp Developer

Post by McBenn »

Issue resolved by inserting checks that GetType was only called with id > 0, and GetBType was called with id > 0 (pointing to a building unit).