[EN] Missions 12-15 Legion

Dział poświęcony projektowi Arabian Campaign

Moderator: ArCamp Developer

McBenn
ArCamp Developer

Re: [EN] Missions 12-15 Legion

Post by McBenn »

It is. Multiple units moving to a hex far away from them causes these lags. That's why I'm careful with using waypoints close to each other. But I may have overlooked something hence my question: When does it happen?
Pawlo
Soldier level 3
Soldier level 3

Post by Pawlo »

It's about 10 minutes before Gensher's signal to leave the area. I created (always do) ~7 tanks with rockets + 2-3 mortar guys. And during passing defile with units (and earlier also) and attacking russians huge lags shows up and stay to end of the mission. If I'm on the way of russian's attacks to epsilon base they're getting larger. In fact, second half of mission is lagged to me, but maybe you've optimized a code for last 3 months.

Original final missions also have little lags with more units and that's why I'm afraid of "all-inclusive mission" because OW used templates for attacks and some dialogs. When we'll add diplomacy, more and more units, various kind of attacks (everyone is attacking everyone - in original campaign everyone just attack you) I don't know what will happen after first 10 minuts.

@down
Like I said, "compilation" about 3 months behind. Anyways - nvm for now. Wish success for ya guys.
Last edited by Pawlo on Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antitheus
Kung Führer
Kung Führer
Korea North

Post by Antitheus »

It' would be rather illogical to trigger all of the attack functions in one moment - like I said before - the algorithm and the sequence of the attacks is a different matter. First of all, the community (and of course McBenn) must evaluate my idea, they may demand some changes (map, plot, anything) or they could present their own ideas for the mission (different map, different plot etc.). Then, we would discuss about the sequences, algorithms and other stuff - step by step, block by block.

On which commit are you playing right now? There was a problem with Russian offensive script but it's fixed now. Maybe the units are forced to make multiple orders in one moment, so the game is a little laggy (in-game lags may be caused e.g. by the unit, which can't get to the crates).
Antitheus
Kung Führer
Kung Führer
Korea North

Post by Antitheus »

The Polish localisation in attachment.
Attachments
Txt18.zip
(6.5 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
Antitheus
Kung Führer
Kung Führer
Korea North

Post by Antitheus »

14a Great mission, well made.
  • Ok, first of all. I suggest to add a limit of mortar operators (e.g. easy - 2 ops, medium - 1 op, hard - none). I had 4 mortar ops, so I could easily defeat the Russians (I've played on easy, so the Russians and Farmer's reinforcements wasn't the challenge)
  • I suggest to uncover the whole map (I mean remove black curtain) - Heike is being there for some time, so I think she should know the area (like in 2nd and 3rd Ru mission).
  • I suggest moving Russian "unoccupied" soldiers into some strategic points (e.g. hill entrance, northern and southern passages). I've destroyed their defenses quite fast, but I was surprised by an army of soldiers, that's hiding behind the depot.
  • For time to time Russian engineer can be spawned (if the previous one is killed - my mortar operators killed them in the first place.
I report more, when I would got some free time. I was playing on easy, so I must check the medium difficulty.
McBenn
ArCamp Developer

Post by McBenn »

The Polish localisation in attachment.
Damn that was fast :arwtf:
I suggest to add a limit of mortar operators
On medium and hard all mortar guys will be transformed to soldiers in the beginning so you won't have any at your disposal in either 14a_cont and 14a_cont2 (at least not until you invent mortars yourself).
I suggest to uncover the whole map
Sounds fair enough. But what about the buildings? Should gray fog display what the map looked like when Heike left in 14a or should there just be no buildings at all? Farmer has rebuild the base so if the old base is left in the grey fog it could be annoying.
I suggest moving Russian "unoccupied" soldiers into some strategic points
Yeah atm they're just bunching together at a specified hex. I suppose they could something useful. I just placed them there because if they were any closer to the main entrance I found it quite difficult to enter the base. And having them stay together makes them harder to kill.
For time to time Russian engineer can be spawned
Nah, killing off the engineers gives a fair advantage. The Russians will build a crane after some time which does a good engineer-job too. Besides, the Russians are far away from home so I don't think they will receive any reinforcements.
Antitheus
Kung Führer
Kung Führer
Korea North

Post by Antitheus »

McBenn wrote:On medium and hard all mortar guys will be transformed to soldiers in the beginning so you won't have any at your disposal in either 14a_cont and 14a_cont2 (at least not until you invent mortars yourself).
I meant the selection screen. Most of the original missions have a restriction - 2 special units max.

It'll be much more aesthetic to uncover the terrain only. Farmer's base would be a mystery :)

Yup, building the crane is a good idea. I was referring to the American "Epsilon mission" where Russians are building their base from the beginning. After killing one engineer - another one is spawned.

Played on 2nd difficulty level:
  • The Farmer's offensive is a little to hash. 4 vehicles with guns and rocket launchers, supported by the remote bombs - death squad for the undeveloped base (at first they surprised me a bit but I was able to defend myself - hardly), then when remote bombs showed up - I was shocked).
  • In the next stage of the mission - combining the Russian attacks with Farmer's offensive - 100% no chance to defend myself (tried to play three times)
  • Imho it'll be wise to cut the amount of attacking forces a bit or lower the mechanic skills and not letting the Russians to attack in the same moment with Farmer.
    :(
  • The mines on the southern passage of Russian base are looped - they will be exploding continuously if the unit is standing on them (they should be one-use).

On the easy mode:
    - you've got 4 vehicles for your disposal during the Russian blockade event, but after the map is changed - only 3 (one gun disappears).
McBenn
ArCamp Developer

Post by McBenn »

That's another way of doing it. I just don't know what would justify not allowing Heike to bring e.g. more than 2 mortars with her. So instead I just changed the class of all mortars to soldiers before the selection and made it impossible to change their class to mortar.

Will be done.

- Attacks -
Farmer should only have 3 vehicles on medium dificulty. Anyway the idea was that it should over time become impossible to defend yourself but it sounds like that point is reached a little too early. I'm gonna make attacks become stronger more slowly, increase the time between attacks for medium and hard difficulty, make the number of vehicles Farmer attack with scale a little slower and delay attacking with implosion vehicles. I like the fact that Farmer and the Russians attack together as well as help each other in other ways - it's like fighting against two other "players" who work together - so I would like to preserve that if possible.

- Mines -
Are you sure it's the same mine that explodes several times? If a human falls (when reaching red life) it may hit another mine which then explodes.

- Vehicles -
That's a problem I was very unsure how to solve gracefully. You could, in theory, capture all the vehicles the Russian blockade has and then advance to the last part of the mission. If the player is allowed to bring any number of vehicles, the last part of the mission would become much easier. So I just limited the number of war vehicles to one by only creating one of the war vehicles. Any better ideas?
Antitheus
Kung Führer
Kung Führer
Korea North

Post by Antitheus »

- Vehicles
Replace the Russian siberite engines with oil ones and set the fuel level to 0 in the beginning of the final stage? I never thought about capturing Russian tanks (maybe making it controlled by a computer?).

- Mines
Yup. At first I ordered Heike doing some scouting - when she stepped over 1st mine I retreated her. After some healing she went on the same spots and the mines were blown again. Then, I've chosen units with 50+ points of defense and make them stand on the 1st mine - it appears mines are being blew over and over on the same spots.
jarmok
Soldier level 1
Soldier level 1

Post by jarmok »

Why can't I capture Russian buildings? I captured Warehouse but was unable to capture other. Is there another secret Warehouse? Oil tower was still mining...
nd Kozlov is too easy to kill when he stands there with others. Shouldn't he be hidden in Warehouse like Farmer?
McBenn
ArCamp Developer

Post by McBenn »

- Vehicles
Nice idea with combustion engines. Still think it would be too easy even if we set the fuel to 0 in the final stage because oil is relatively easy available. But making them have combustion enignes explain why they are not brought with you to the final stage - they simply run out of fuel before you reach the map.
Computer control isn't efficient enough I think.

- Mines
I just can't reproduce it. Try and change your side to "all sides" and see if the mine actually disappears or not. And make sure you place the unit at the exact same spot. The mines are quite close.

@jarmok
"Why can't I capture Russian buildings?"
My bad. Apparently the trick I used for removing the buildings before revealing fog screwed things up. The new commit fixes it.

"Kozlov is too easy to kill when he stands there with others. Shouldn't he be hidden in Warehouse like Farmer?"
Hmm not sure. Maybe on the easier diffiuclties? What do other ppl say?
jarmok
Soldier level 1
Soldier level 1

Post by jarmok »

Can you at least change Kozlov's color? Heike herself is different from her troops at New Kabul. It is total mess when bombs are falling between russians and only way to recognise him is his hair. And can he at least hide in Warehouse when you capture it? Both Berezov and Stevens do.
McBenn
ArCamp Developer

Post by McBenn »

It would be too easy to stop him from escaping if he's in the depot. What about one of the labs?
jarmok
Soldier level 1
Soldier level 1

Post by jarmok »

I get it now, mission 14 is quite easy :)
Spoiler:
If you capture Kozlov and he calls Farmer in base :D You just need to change mortars back to soldiers. Capturing Kozlov is only tricky part, snipers would be usefull... Can you somehow get snipers in previous mission? And those mines in secret passage are also good trap, but I wasn't really suprised when they killed me :)
McBenn
ArCamp Developer

Post by McBenn »

I hope it isn't too easy :P
Spoiler:
Unless you want to lose some men you have to go through the main entrance to the Russian base. Those mines are nasty :P
You could capture an American barracks in mission 13a but you won't be able to change profession to sniper. So I'm afraid that's not an option (read: That was intended :P)