Original War Editor Ideas

To, co nie pasuje do pozostałych kategorii, ma swoje miejsce tutaj.
stucuk
OWSupport.com Owner

Original War Editor Ideas

Post by stucuk »

I am looking for ideas on how to improve the editor. Ways to simplify map creation for example. One idea that i plan on implementing is to make it so the editor can setup a basic multiplayer map (Complete with sail code).

Extracting files from the OWP's when creating a new mod is currently implemented in the latest unreleased build.
- Stu
OWSupport
Nefarem
MODbase Moderator
Poland

Re: Original War Editor Ideas

Post by Nefarem »

Ooo, nice.

Is the editor will had the look of Windows Aero?
Absolute Dominion
Spoiler:
Modyfikacja opowiadająca historię Ivana Bierezova, żołnierza armii Rosyjskiej , weterana wojny w Chinach który wziął udział w misji ochrony złóż Alaskitu.

Download from Dropbox
Original War Cooperation
Spoiler:
Modyfikacja umożliwiająca granie w mapach z kampanii OW i nie tylko ze znajomymi kontra AI.

Download from Steam

Download from Dropbox
Original War Dialog Editor
Spoiler:
Program ułatwiający tworzenie plików wri z dialogami, zadaniami etc do Original War .

Download
Backero
Community Veteran
Community Veteran

Post by Backero »

Woow it's great idea! But what are there Skirmish maps?

1. My only wish is possibility to edit elements of character's portrait (like class clothes, hairs). There is possible to do it in XichEd, but changes aren't implemented ingame. Then I could prepare new clothes for new nation in my mod and many modders could add new glasses and hats for example.

Or meaby it's possible, but I really have no idea how to unpack Data3.owp. Data2.owp is "/Sound", so what's another name of Data3.owp folder?

2. If you wan't to to make a Multiplayer Map Creator, there will be special interface for place starting positions on maps without SAIL? Did I understand it well?
Creative
Blackmen level 100
Blackmen level 100
Poland

Post by Creative »

Very Nice project.
stucuk
OWSupport.com Owner

Post by stucuk »

Nefarem wrote:Ooo, nice.

Is the editor will had the look of Windows Aero?
The Editor's buttons will change to the Windows theme you have selected, but overall the editors look will remain the same on all versions of windows.
Backero wrote:Woow it's great idea! But what are there Skirmish maps?
Skirmish maps are just maps placed in _skirmish . The game doesn't show the Skirmish button (Unless you have the WIP build) that has been hidden since v1.02 . A Future goal is to make a skirmish "screen" which is similar to the multiplayer area where you pick options, etc.

Currently there are no Skirmish maps "shipped" with Original War.
Backero wrote:1. My only wish is possibility to edit elements of character's portrait (like class clothes, hairs). There is possible to do it in XichEd, but changes aren't implemented ingame. Then I could prepare new clothes for new nation in my mod and many modders could add new glasses and hats for example.
So they are not loaded in the game from your mod's folder? Could you send me your mod so i could look into it? (I don't have any custom XichEd files to test it with. Just need XichEd files and a gallery)
Backero wrote:2. If you wan't to to make a Multiplayer Map Creator, there will be special interface for place starting positions on maps without SAIL? Did I understand it well?
In the editor you will get to select up to 8 locations: Top Left, Top, Top Right, Right, Bottom Right, Bottom, Bottom Left, Left. The editor will create the basic SAIL required to create the units, crate spawning, etc.
- Stu
OWSupport
Serpent
Soldier level 10
Soldier level 10
Estonia

Post by Serpent »

Hi, it's very good idea.

1. Could you add to workspace in editor something like a zoom?

2. I can't move skirmish button.
Spoiler:
3. ...and remove this layout.
Spoiler:
Epickie teksty:
Marek1906: jak zrobic aby sail był zielony?
Kvantovy: Wszystko normalne, wszystko w koło było dziwne
Kvantovy:: To jest fajne, że to nie jest takie głupie
Kvantovy:: remove sos from kanapeczka
Kvantovy:: zdarzają się rzezy które sie filozofom nie śniły
Cenwen: problemem jest gejostwo
"Taki z niego fizyk jak ze mnie baletnica" - Profesor Scholtze o Kvantovym.
JAKBYŁ BYM CZECHEM TO BYM ROZŁOŻYŁ NAMIOT ~Kvanciak
stucuk
OWSupport.com Owner

Post by stucuk »

Serpent wrote:1. Could you add to workspace in editor something like a zoom?
I will need to look into it. Do you mean zooming the main map bit or having a window that shows the area around where you have your mouse on the main map zoomed in?
Serpent wrote:2. I can't move skirmish button.
Spoiler:
3. ...and remove this layout.
Spoiler:
1.12.10.15 was a WIP build that was only released on bugs.owsupport.com and maybe some forum threads because it helped with a multiplayer sync lost bug introduced in an earlier version. It was never properly released.

As a result the skirmish button was just a test. The Skirmish window is just like how altar left it as it hasn't been modified yet. I do plan at one stage to modify the Skirmish Window to be like the Multiplayer map selection screen.
- Stu
OWSupport
Serpent
Soldier level 10
Soldier level 10
Estonia

Post by Serpent »

I mean something like this:
Spoiler:
Epickie teksty:
stucuk
OWSupport.com Owner

Post by stucuk »

Serpent wrote:I mean something like this:
Looks like Altar at one stage was planning on implementing a Zoom Out feature. I managed to get it working as well as getting the Grid View to show on the 2x Zoom out. But it won't render the selection, areas, or anything else thats rendered on top of the game.

Also made it so when you click it takes the zoom into account allowing you to place units/etc.

Because of the Zooming out, it does try to render outside of what it should when there is a GBI in the map, which causes some graphical "errors" on the bits outside of the map. But it shouldn't crash (Not anymore :P).

I will keep working on it to make it render the selection/etc but it may take a while. So heres the current version where you can at least place trees/units/grass/etc while zoomed out.

- OWOGL_2015-01-01_b.rar

P.S The create Multiplayer bit of the wizard is in the planning stage, so after selecting the map size the additional bit with the spawn positions does nothing.

P.S2 I would recommend the ow_editorOGL.exe over the ow_editorDD.exe
- Stu
OWSupport
vanimpe
Soldier level 4
Soldier level 4

Post by vanimpe »

It is a great idea to add in the next patch a skirmish mode with the best random missions from available mods.
Gravitr
Throwback Developer
Czech Republic

Post by Gravitr »

Ideas:
My priority: 1 - small, 2 - medium, 3 - large

Map copy - 2
There's a area copying, but buttons for terrain copying is missing. I think that buttons for copying of selected terrain (and with some angle rotates) would be great. You can create then a very balaned multiplayer map.

Smooth minimap scrolling - 1
When you click and slide mouse over a minimap, the "view" (center of editor) will move fluently.

Show idents button - 3
Some button for showing SAIL identifiers on the view window would be good (fx. when you scripting a PC base, you see idents on the map and it's faster to script a PC base then). Text could appear above or below units (inc. buildings vehicles etc.).

Prescribed scripts - 2
Include some prescribed scripts (fx. falling crates, attacks etc.). It would be interesting when you double click a function in identify, that a begin-end script will appear in your SAIL.

Waves - 3
There's a way to create waves on water, but not many people do it, because it's laborious. But if you create some "wave editor window" inside editor, it'll be much easier (and maps will look better).

Describe functions - 1
Some functions in identify isn't described fully - like Macros, Tasklist etc. . It could be described
in detail.

-out of ideas right now-
Serpent wrote:Could you add to workspace in editor something like a zoom?
That would be very usefull.
[MOD] Arabian History - 9 missions
Show post with download

[MOD] Vsevolod Mission - 4 pro missions
Show post with download

[MP-MOD] Throwback - over 35 new missions
Official site (+download)
stucuk
OWSupport.com Owner

Post by stucuk »

Gravitr wrote:Ideas:
My priority: 1 - small, 2 - medium, 3 - large
My top priority is adding the most features in the shortest time. So things that are likely to be easier to implement are likely to be implemented first.
Gravitr wrote:Map copy - 2
There's a area copying, but buttons for terrain copying is missing. I think that buttons for copying of selected terrain (and with some angle rotates) would be great. You can create then a very balaned multiplayer map.
By terrain do you mean the height's of the Hex's, the Grass/Trees or both?
Gravitr wrote:Prescribed scripts - 2
Include some prescribed scripts (fx. falling crates, attacks etc.). It would be interesting when you double click a function in identify, that a begin-end script will appear in your SAIL.
So just a button to add some example code into the sail editor? IIRC some functions have example code in there description.
Gravitr wrote:Waves - 3
There's a way to create waves on water, but not many people do it, because it's laborious. But if you create some "wave editor window" inside editor, it'll be much easier (and maps will look better).
How would you like it to work? Currently you need a dot of colour and a red line.
Gravitr wrote:Describe functions - 1
Some functions in identify isn't described fully - like Macros, Tasklist etc. . It could be described in detail.
They are all done by the community (Mostly MCBenn IIRC), anyone can contribute. I don't have the SAIL knowledge to write them (I haven't made a map in alot of years).
- Stu
OWSupport
Gravitr
Throwback Developer
Czech Republic

Post by Gravitr »

stucuk wrote:By terrain do you mean the height's of the Hex's, the Grass/Trees or both?
I think that hex height's and map terrain (road/water/etc) is sufficient.
stucuk wrote:So just a button to add some example code into the sail editor? IIRC some functions have example code in there description.
Yes, just a button, which export function with example code.
stucuk wrote:How would you like it to work? Currently you need a dot of colour and a red line.
Some window which allow you to create arrows on water with mouse. It could be a new layer, which will show them when enabled.
It would have to be written by an algorithm which would evaluate the direction of the arrow.
It would be much faster than current process.

What I mean:
Spoiler:
[MOD] Arabian History - 9 missions
Show post with download

[MOD] Vsevolod Mission - 4 pro missions
Show post with download

[MP-MOD] Throwback - over 35 new missions
Official site (+download)
Serpent
Soldier level 10
Soldier level 10
Estonia

Post by Serpent »

Another idea:
Add empty colors.txt to map-folder when user want create a new map in editor.

You can also allow to add new functions here:
Spoiler:
Epickie teksty:
stucuk
OWSupport.com Owner

Post by stucuk »

Serpent wrote:Another idea:
Add empty colors.txt to map-folder when user want create a new map in editor.
Thats already in the editor(And has been for 3-4 years) when a new map is created via the wizard:

Code: Select all

CreateColorsTxt(GamePakGetAbsoluteName(MissionsPath) + '\' + mission_name + '\colors.txt');
Serpent wrote:You can also allow to add new functions here:
You can add new "includes" by putting code into <Original War>\SAIL\Libraries\. I don't think they need to be distributed with mods as they are only used when code is compiled.

Future versions will have a button that will create an empty src file for you.
- Stu
OWSupport